Tuesday, April 15, 2008

CHARLES COHEN AT THE BUCHLA MUSIC EASEL


CHARLES COHEN AT THE BUCHLA MUSIC EASEL from Alex on Vimeo.

This is great, historic stuff.

OK - Disclaimer: Like the vast majority of my readers, I found this on Matrixsynth. This is the first time I have ever re-posted anything that I saw on Matrixsynth (but I always appreciate it very much when he re-blogs my posts!), for the obvious reason that the vast majority of my readers also read that blog, and I want this place to be something slightly different than a 'Matrixsynth wannabe'.

Anyway. In this one case, I've reblogged this post. Why? Because I feel it is very important. AND IT'S REALLY REALLY GOOD. And I know that in actual fact, I have at least one or two readers that don't read Matrix's blog. And this film is just GREAT, and is of significant historical and musical importance to anyone with even a passing interest in electronic music. And it's very well done. And finally, the author has stated that people are free to blog and promote this film, as long as the original text that I'm about to paste in below, is still present.

So enjoy. Thanks Matrix for bringing it to my attention, thanks Alex for making this video, thanks Don for creating such captivating instruments, and thanks Charles for the wonderful music.

Here's the obligatory paste - please read it, very interesting stuff....

------------------

"/ / / / / Viewing with headphones or a stereo source is highly recommended / / / / /

This colorful video features sound artist Charles Cohen improvising on a 1970's Buchla Music Easel. This extremely rare instrument is one of Don Buchla's 200 series. Buchla (a pioneer of audio synthesis) only manufactured 14 of these units. The entire film was edited from an hour-long set of free improvisation, with audio was taken directly from Charles' mixing board.

All of the photography and editing was produced by Alex Tyson, a sound and video artist from Pennsylvania. The film was shot in 16:9 720p High Definition format, using a 35mm LensBaby 3GPL.

This film is free to distribute, share, blog, vlog, etc. When re-posting, please copy and paste this text to inform anyone about the film.

At this time the film is only available online. While you can stream it in HD, it is best viewed on DVD.
Please contact the filmmaker for hard copies if interested.

Charles can be reached at ccohen (at) voicenet.com

Alex can be reached at alextyson (at) gmail.com"

No comments: